It's spring/summer consignment time around here, so I have been busy going through the kids clothes and toys to get rid of things they have outgrown. I kept every baby item after Maddie Grace was born, but when we found out that we were expecting a boy, I had a lot of pink things that I no longer needed. Some of my friends talked me into participating in my first consignment sale about 2 years ago, and now I am hooked. I use the money that I make to purchase in season play clothes and toys for the kids. I get a bunch of new things and get rid of old things all at once. It's a definite win/win! Here's how it works: I label my items (twice per year), drop them off for the week of the sale, then I pick up any leftover items at the end of the week and collect a check. You usually get 70% to 80% of what you sale. There are 10 or so sales I like in a 5 to 6 week period. I try to put my items in 5 of them each season (spring/summer and fall/winter). If I have anything left over, I donate it. The sales only take gently used or new items, and many still have the tags on them. The last day of the sale, everything is half off! I have learned not to wait till the last day. If you really want it, you better get it while you can. Here are a few of my favorite things that I purchased the last couple of weeks:

We surprised Maddie with this Barbie Jeep. It's like new, and it cost 1/5 of the retail price.

They love it!

This was new from a boutique. The tag had $59 on it, and I paid $9. My girl loves to dress up!

Loved this blue embroidered dress for $4

Two boutique outfits, with tags attached, for a
small fraction of the $95 retail price

The dress still has the tags on it (retail $67). I got these two super cute pieces for $12.


Hanna Andersson polos for $4

Brand new Sketchers for Maddie and 2 pair of Stride Rite shoes for Preston. Grand total: $10.
Here is a great website that lists the sales in TN:
Click here and select your area. Some are better than others, and they all have their own rules. If you live in my area, I would be happy to share my experiences with you.
So here's a question: what do you do with the things your kids have outgrown?
No comments:
Post a Comment