Tuesday, September 9

1st Reese's Cup

Most of you know that I have life threatening food allergies. From my own research, I have learned that my kids each have a 30% chance of getting these. I can't tell you how much I have prayed over my children for their protection from this burden. I remember going to weddings when I was small and ending up in the ER barely breathing because they served nuts at the reception. All I had to do was breathe them, and my throat would start swelling. My sweet family does not get to enjoy pecan pie during the Holidays. In Kindergarden, I had to sit in the hallway as my class enjoyed the Christmas party because someone's mom forgot about me and sent brownies with nuts. I don't tell you this for sympathy. haha I am just sharing my fears for my sweet babies. When I was pregnant with Maddie, Marty and I went to Peurto Rico. I had a massage, and the girl did not read the labels on her lotion even though I asked her to. She used 3 products with almond oil and I spent the rest of the trip in bed covered in hives. I ate at a local restaurant (pregnant with Preston this time), and they served me a dish with walnuts and assured me it didn't have nuts. Off to the ER again. Two weeks ago, my pediatrician talked to me about checking Maddie for peanut allergies. You can imagine my hesitation. I told him I planned on waiting until she was at least 4. (Did you know that Planter's Nuts recommends waiting until kids are 6 before they try any nuts?) Anyway, the doctor talked me into bringing Maddie in yesterday to feed her a peanut butter sandwich. You may wonder why I wouldn't just do it at home. If Maddie had a reaction, we might not make it to the hospital in time. So...we did it in a controlled environment with Epi nearby. I had the biggest knot in my stomach all day. I called my mom for reassurance (twice), and so...Maddie had her 1st PB sandwich. And a Reese's cup. Then we waited. The doctor, his nurse, and I stared at her for 30 minutes. She was happy to entertain with all eyes on her. Thankfully she did not have a reaction, but most kids don't the first time they are introduced to nuts. We have to go back in two weeks, and repeat. In a few months, Marty will take her to test for tree nut allergies and possibly shellfish. I will be asking for lots of prayers during this time. In a few years we will do it all again with Preston. I'll let you know how it goes!!

2 comments:

MB said...

I know that has to be nerve wracking! I'm glad she passed the first test with flying colors! Just hope she doesn't want a pb & j before the next test ;) Glad you're ok too!

The Velvet Trunk said...

oh wow girlie, that would have been so scary. I'm so glad you are doing it in a controlled environment though! Hope you four are doing marvelously- love you girl! :)
-Mel