Tuesday, March 3

Tasty Tuesday - Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is probably in my top 3 of the best things I have ever tasted. When friends come over, this is what they ask me to make. If you don't have many spices, there might be a small investment the 1st time you make this. The good news: you will make it again, so the spices will not be a waste. I recommend the McCormick Gourmet Collection. I have purchased generic label spices in the past, and they are not as good of quality. You get what you pay for. Also, I work for a brand company, so I don't buy off label. :) That's another post. The best thing about this recipe...you can't mess it up. I change the measure of ingredients every time I make it.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

4 boneless chicken breasts (boiled, shredded - see "Tip" from February 24th)
1/2 tsp olive oil
4 cans chicken broth
1/2 tsp onion powder (original recipe calls for 1 cup chopped onion; use only if you really love onion; I think it overpowers the spices)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Ancho Chile powder (or 1/2 dried ancho chile minus the seeds; I use the powder)
1/2 tsp minced garlic (I buy the jar, I don't mince it myself)
1 Tbs lime juice
1 cup Pace Picante Medium
1 cup frozen white shoepeg corn (this can be hard to find, but don't substitute; it's not as good)
1 can Rotel Original
Tortilla chips
Sour Cream
Monterey Jack Cheese

In a large pot, heat oil; In a small bowl, blend together onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and Ancho Chile powder. Add in minced garlic. Put shredded chicken in pot. Add spice mixture and coat chicken thoroughly. Add lime juice. Stir for 2 minutes.

Add chicken broth, Pace, and frozen corn to pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Add Rotel. Reduce to medium heat, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.

Once you pour it into bowls, break tortilla chips on top, add sour cream and monterey jack cheese.

1 comment:

The Velvet Trunk said...

Oh my gosh- I LOVE this stuff. After you served it to me years ago I seriously at it for months afterwards! So glad to see it again!! :)

-Mel